MSI innovators rapidly deploy ground-breaking techniques and the latest technologies to programs accomplishing accelerated manufacturing timelines to quickly design, engineer, and deliver capabilities for numerous systems – suspension, mechanical design and integration, communications infrastructures, command and control, electronic controls, mechatronics and as an ATF FFL Level 9 holder, weapon systems.
Job Description –MSI Design Engineer
Scope of Work
The MSI Engineer will work under the Engineering Department Head in our Mooresville, NC facility. The MSI Engineer is responsible for the modeling, design and analysis of the mechanical components with a focus on vehicle sub-system design. The position will be required to work with our existing engineers, assemblers and suppliers to facilitate internal and outside manufacturing. Responsibilities include designing products and sub-systems to achieve sales/customer requirements while using computational analysis, FEA, and general engineering principles through the product development phase.
- Design – Vehicle component and assembly design work will rely on the experience/knowledge of the MSI Engineer and the primary guidance of the Design Manager with other input from engineering staff and production staff. Our design goals are to develop superior products by utilizing sound engineering principals. Our manufacturing goals are to minimize lead time and cost while building a high-quality component. Designer should be well-versed in GD&T techniques.
- Modeling– Modeling will be done using Creo 7.0. It is expected that the Design Engineer will be proficient in the software. Training for future software upgrades will be covered by MSI.
- Analysis – FEA work will be done using Creo Simulate.
- Manufacturing – Work with our outside suppliers to provide them with the data they need to quote, manufacture or analyze parts. . Engineer will be involved, at times, with Quality Control to assure that parts are manufactured as designed. Responsibilities may also include fixture design and outsourcing.
- New Design/Prototype/Product Development – Engineer must be willing to travel, as necessary to support the testing and development of the component or assembly, to gauge customer feedback, and to evaluate possible design and feature changes. Designer must also be willing to develop a thorough understanding of the products he/she designs and develop and execute plans to maintain development phase schedules.
- Documentation and Records – Maintain/develop thorough and complete BOM’s and produce accurate drawings for the use of manufacturing and configuration management. Produce reports detailing analysis and design changes. Because documentation and record keeping is important when working on revision levels and to track performance, thoroughness here is critical.
- Operations – Have a clear understanding of MSI’s ERP system and how the other departments of the company function throughout the product life cycle.
- Knowledge – Must have an understanding of function and purpose of vehicle sub-systems including, but not limited to chassis, suspension, and drive train. General hands on experience with automotive systems is a plus.
- Minimum of a BS college degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 2 – 5 years CAD experience (ProE/Creo preferred)
- FEA Experience (ProMechanica or Creo Simulate preferred)
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Experience designing automotive components is a plus
- Ability to interact with all types of people under pressure
- Knowledge of machining practices, industry workings, fabrication shop procedures
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Positive attitude
- Willingness to learn
Business hours are Monday through Friday, 7am-4pm.
We are an equal opportunity employer and prohibit discrimination/harassment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Mooresville, NC 28117: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- CAD: 3 years (Required)
- FEA: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: One location